Chess Moves

One person's short journey into the world of Australian chess

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Chess At Work And Live Games

First day at work, I decided to play a couple of chess games with one of my colleagues, Szabo over lunch and after working hours. Szabo is a recreational player and his chess skills is a tad lower than mine (around 1200+ according to my BIL - brother-in-law).

We played 3 games over our lunch hour (chess is normally our fav activity over lunch). I played 2 games as White (one with Queen's Gambit Accepted, the other with Ruy Lopez - Closed), the other as Black (Closed Sicilian) - winning all 3.

At the end of the day, I decided to try again. This time out of 4 games, I lost one, won two, drew one. But I was less than satisfied with the results this time. Against a tougher opposition I would have easily lost the drawn game and drew one of the two won games. The only game that was of particular significance was this game. I had placed my Queen and my King on the same file and Szabo attempted to pin me, allowing me to setup a skewer with my rook, resulting in a mate in 4.

I had just played ... Qe7-g5 (See diagram). White moved:
1. Rg2?? Rc1+
2. Kf2 Rc2+
3. Kf1 Qxg2+
(with mate on next move)

Against more experienced opponents, this ploy would most certainly have failed.

When I got home, my BIL called and asked me to go over to his place for dinner tomorrow, and naturally, a game of chess awaits me. I'm dreading it already.....

Onto other chess news, I've been following the Russian Championship Superfinal on http://www.chessgames.com as well as the Australian Junior Championship at http://www.ozchess2006.com/

Do take a look if you can spare the time. It's past midnight now but I'm following the Evgeny Bareev vs Peter Svidler game.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:24 PM, Blogger The chess nut said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 2:40 PM, Blogger The chess nut said…

    .... And don't forget.....

    Top 6 Boards of Australian Championships being shown at www. ozchess2006.com ! Click on live games.

    Games start 3 AEST (4 AEDST)

    There are 5 Grandmasters (Ftacnik, Rogers, Chandler, Schmaltz, Johannsen) 5 Internatinal Masters (Smerdon, Solomon, Lane, Zhao, Wohl), 7 Fide Masters (Xie (who recently got 3 IM norms all he needs is a Fide Rating of 2400 which he should get in the January Ratings (i think it's january....)), Guthrie, Levi, Dougherty, Bjelobrk, Canfell and Goldenberg)

    2 Womens international Masters (Caoli, Moylan)

    Some Exciting Young juniors:
    Moultin Ly who won the Australian Juniors Last year. In the first round of the Championships this year he defeated IM Aleks Wohl!
    Raymond Song, a 11? year old who a year ago came equal first in the World Under 10's Championships in Greece! He drew with FM George Xie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home